July 15, 2019
How to Change or Amend a Claim

You can change or amend a claim that has already been filed in small claims court in the following ways:

  • To amend a claim, if your claim has not been served, go to the small claims clerk's office and ask to have an amendment added to the claim. Be sure to bring your original claim forms with you. If any of your defendants have been served on the original claim, you will need to submit a letter to the court requesting permission to amend your claim.
  • To delete one or more defendants, use the dismissal form you received with your claim. Be sure to indicate that you are dismissing the case only against one or more defendants and that you are dismissing the entire case against that defendant or defendants.
  • You do not have to notify the remaining defendants of the dismissal.

More on How to . . . »

© 2019 Superior Court of San Mateo County