August 30, 2014
A: click to change text to default font size A: click to change text to medium font size A: click to change text to large font size
Who Can Serve?
San Mateo County residents who are interested in participating in the Grand Jury process are encouraged to apply. The statutory requirements are that each Grand Juror:
- Be a citizen of the United States;
- Be at least 18 years of age;
- Reside in San Mateo County for at least one year before being selected;
- Have ordinary intelligence and good character;
- Possess a working knowledge of the English language;
- Not presently serving as a trial juror;
- Not having been a Grand Juror within one year of being selected (jurors may be held over for a second year);
- Not having been convicted of a felony or of malfeasance in office;
- Not presently serving as an elected official.
Who Would Make a Good Grand Juror?
- Are you a good listener?
- Can you cooperate with 18 others toward a common goal?
- Can you keep a secret? All your work must be confidential.
- Have you the stamina to commit yourself to a full year of productive work?
- Can you ask thoughtful questions, review documents, and help write lucid reports?
- Are you interested in trying to increase the efficiency of local government, save taxpayers' dollars, and improve services?
- Can you attend a minimum of six daytime meetings or field trips and two general meetings per month?