November 22, 2019
Domestic Violence: What You Can Do

If you believe you are in an abusive relationship, you can call the agencies listed below for support, information and a wide variety of services including shelter, counseling and legal assistance with domestic violence restraining orders.

For help filling out the forms to request a Domestic Violence Restraining Order, please go to

Bay Area Legal Aid's Domestic Violence Restraining Order Clinic
1048 El Camino Real, Suite A, Redwood City, CA 94063
(650) 358-0745

Notice: Center for Domestic Violence Prevention and Sor Juana Ines Services for Abused Women have now merged and are known as:

Community Overcoming Relationship Abuse (CORA) PO Box 5090, San Mateo, CA 94402
Office: 650-652-0800
hotlines: 650-312-8515 or 800-300-1080

Abuse generally escalates over time and in intensity. Thus it is important to plan for your safety BEFORE you take any legal action or tell your partner you want to end the relationship. Your partner may view your leaving the relationship as a loss of control over you which may lead to more violence. Call one of the domestic violence agencies listed above for help in making a safety plan, whether you decide to stay in the relationship or leave.

See Legal Remedies to Promote Your Safety for additional information

© 2019 Superior Court of San Mateo County